...                    .        ..                                  ...                                       ...                                   ...                                                                                                       

   

    Belgium

 
        Brussels

Brussels is the capital of Belgium, the Flemish Community and the French Community. It is also the headquarters of most of the institutions of the European Union, as well as many international organizations, including NATO.

 

 

        The Atomium

The Atomium is a monument in Brussels, built for the Universal Exhibition of 1958 and representing the conventional mesh iron crystal (phase centered cubic), magnified 165 billion times.

The nine spheres that constitute the monument are not a reference to the nine Belgian provinces of the time (which are now ten with the division of Brabant). They represent the nine constituent atoms of the crystal and iron are only coincide with the division of Belgium. The original designer of the monument was conceived as a reference to science (popular topic at Expo '58) and in particular the use of the atom, in full development at this time, not a reference to the unity of the nine provinces of the kingdom.


The spheres have a diameter of 18 meters and weigh about 250 tons each. Symbolically, the Atomium embodies the boldness of an era that wanted to confront the fate of humanity with scientific discoveries.


The construction of the Atomium was a technical feat. Of the nine spheres, six are made ​​publicly available, each with two main floors and a lower floor reserved for the service. The central tube contains the fastest elevator of the time (5 m / s) installed by the Belgian firm Schlieren (later adopted by Schindler). It allows 22 people to reach the top in 23 seconds. Escalators installed in oblique tubes are among the longest in Europe. The largest measures 35 meters long.

Beyond the symbolic value linked to its history, the Atomium is also one of the icons of the city of Brussels - the capital of Europe - with which it has special relations. Since its brilliant restoration (2006), that many do not hesitate to dub the most Belgian monuments is also a museum with its permanent collections and temporary exhibitions.

       The  Royal Palace

The Royal Palace of Brussels is one of the most beautiful government buildings in the capital.
Located opposite the Palais de la Nation, at the other end of the Royal Park, the Royal Palace symbolizes our system of government, namely the constitutional monarchy. The Palace is where the King exercises his prerogatives as Head of State.


This is the Palace that the King grants audiences and deals with affairs of state are handled.
In addition to the office of the King and the Queen, the Royal Palace houses the services of the Chief of Cabinet of the King, the Chief of the Military Household of the King, the Intendant of the Civil List of the King, the Chief of Protocol of the Court, the Head of the Department of Foreign Affairs and Head of Applications and social Affairs.


The Palace also includes the State Rooms where large receptions are held, as well as apartments available to heads of state on official visits.

 

 

 

 

 

       The  Manneken-pis

The Manneken Pis, meaning "the kid who piss", is a bronze statue of fifty centimeters is actually a fountain depicting a naked little boy urinating. It is located in the heart of Brussels, in the Saint-Jacques district, just steps from the Grand Place, at the intersection of the street from the oven and Oak Street. This statue is the symbol of the independent spirit of Brussels.

It is traditional to offer the Manneken Pis clothes on special occasions to honor a particular profession. The current wardrobe includes 883 costumes that are mostly kept in the Museum of the City of Brussels, located in the King's House on the Grand-Place.

Her first outfit was offered to him in 1698 by Maximilian Emmanuel of Bavaria, governor-general of the Spanish Netherlands. There remains a Part 10. In 1747, King Louis XV of France gave him a suit to quiet the inhabitants of Brussels, angry that French soldiers had stolen the statue.
Manneken Pis is dressed in one of her costumes 36 times per year, fixes11 dates: for example, it takes 21 April each costume Spirou, each holding 27 April Nelson Mandela and early July the yellow jersey
of the Tour de France.

 

 .

       The Royal Conservatory

The Royal Conservatory of Brussels receives the official title in 1832. It is since that time the main and more high school the Kingdom of Belgium in the fields of music and speech arts. They are masters as François-Joseph Fetis, the first director of the institution, François-Auguste Gevaert or Joseph Jongen and Francis de Bourguignon that gave him the rank he holds.


Initially installed in the palace of the Thurn and Taxis family, building it currently occupies, consisting of three wings arranged around a courtyard, are the work of architect Jean-Pierre Cluysenaar and were built between 1872 and 1876.


1967 was the year of the separation into two independent institutions language, the "Conservatoire Royal de Bruxelles" currently under the direction of Frédéric de Roos and "Brussels Royal Conservatory," under the direction of Peter Swinnen. The two institutions share the same building and work in an intense collaboration.


With renowned teachers, number of students from around the world have, in turn, acquired a great reputation.
In 1877, it was decided to add to the Conservatoire museum of musical instruments to enable students to better understand the instruments. This will give birth to the Museum of Musical Instruments in Brussels.

 The Brussels square

 

 
 
       The European Parliament

The European Parliament (EP) is the parliamentary body of the European Union (EU), elected by direct universal suffrage. It shares with the Council of the European Union legislature of the European Union.


The Parliament is composed of 754 MEPs, representing 375 million voters from 27 states (2009), that is to say, the second largest electorate in the world behind that of India, and more large transnational electorate. Since 1979, the Parliament is elected every five years by direct universal suffrage, proportional representation. It does not have legislative initiative, the European Commission has a monopoly. Although Parliament is the "main" institution of the European Union (mentioned first in the treaties and ceremonial precedence over all other European authorities), the Council of Ministers has legislative powers greater than him because it is the only organ that passes all laws, and the only pass laws in areas where the codecision procedure does not apply. Parliament, however, control the expenditure side (but not the revenue side) of the EU budget.


Its headquarters are in Strasbourg, France, where the plenary sessions are held, and its committees, as well as some additional plenary sessions are held at the Espace Léopold, in Brussels, Belgium, its Secretariat is located in Luxembourg.

 

 The Royal Palace

 

Exchange

       La Louvière

La Louviere is a municipality of Belgium located in the Walloon Region in the province of Hainaut.
The city of La Louviere was erected by separating the commune of Saint-Vaast. The formal separation was signed and decided by the law of 27 February 1869. La Louviere is the daughter of the industrial revolution is indeed the development of heavy industries (steel in particular) which led extension, and erection separate joint.
La Louviere is located 50 miles south of the capital Brussels, about 260 km north-east of Paris, 90 km east of Lille, about 160 km west of Aix-la-Chapelle , 20 km east of Mons and 30 km northwest of Charleroi. La Louviere is the center of a European motorway junction, including the E19 (Antwerp-Brussels-Amsterdam-Paris) and E42 (Lille-Charleroi-Liège-Frankfurt-on-Main).

Geography

La Louviere is composed of the former municipalities of La Louviere, Houdeng-Goegnies, Houdeng-Aimeries, Strépy-Bracquegnies, Besonrieux, Haine-Saint-Paul, Haine-Saint-Pierre, Saint-Vaast, Trivières, Maurage and Boussoit.

History

Saint Vaast, local coalfield Center included several lordships property with right of coal on which the Lord had high Rœulx justice. Among these areas was the stronghold located in La Louviere and belonged to the wealthy Abbey Alder. The high justice of Saint-Vaast allowed to perform exploration. Thus the coal mining began in 1390. However, the Abbey has long refused to "leave open the earth," in the words formerly commonly used method. The coal industry has become truly productive in the early eighteenth century. As as coal companies have multiplied the means of extraction have been perfected and tax formalities have disappeared, a requirement has emerged, namely to ensure the flow of products for local consumption, to time very limited, could not exhaust. Means of communication were then created ever more numerous and sophisticated roads, canals and subsequently railway lines. Attracted by the proximity of the coal required for their activities, new industries have settled near the coal and created new opportunities.

Under the vigorous thrust of the many industries that are developed in a very short time, La Louviere rose rapidly in the way of progress ... We then witness a curious phenomenon: La Louviere, always hamlet of Saint-Vaast, became increasingly successful and exceeded in importance and village activities which it depended. It was even the subject of municipal interests greater than those loaned to Saint-Vaast. Fragmentation has therefore become necessary. On 27 February 1869, a special act decreed the erection of La Louviere as separate joint was passed and sanctioned by Royal Decree of 10 April 1869.

Whereas in the early nineteenth century, La Louviere was not even a hamlet but a simple and obscure "locality", it took place half a century later, among the largest municipalities in the country. Note that it is only in 1985 that La Louviere received permission to wear the title of city.

This is the field of religious Alder who gave his name to the city. There is therefore reports, links between "La Louviere" today and "Abbey Alder" of yesteryear ...

Arms

The coat of arms of La Louviere correspond to the arms of the abbey Alder overloaded with a wolf, particular attribute of the city. The arms of the new entity are identical to those granted by Royal Decree to the old town March 5, 1957.

Blazon: Azure, a fess Argent, in chief three martlets of the same, rows, and in base a Roman natural wolf .

   

Famous People

• Marguerite Bervoets, poet and resistant
Zeno Bacq, radiobiologist
• Daniel Pelletti painter.
• Pol Bury, painter and sculptor
• Anna Boch, painter
• Eugène Boch, painter
• Corinne Boulangier, TV presenter
• Gaëtan Sgualdino journalist
Achilles Chavée poet
Leopold Dupuis says Vi-Stou, author Walloon
• Franco Dragone, director
• Maurice Grevisse, grammarian, author of the reference grammar Le Bon Usage
• Paul Leduc, painter
• Jean Louvet, playwright
• Enzo Scifo, footballer
Michael Schetter, cartoonist, painter, illustrator
• Albert Valentin, screenwriter and director
• Liliane Vincent, actress
• Gustave Wallet says "Taf Wallet" painter
• Eden Hazard, football
Silvio Proto, footballer
Ruddy Walem, athletics

Education

The city of La Louviere has several schools, nursery school to higher education. It also includes special schools, artistic and social advancement.

Industrial

Boat lifts the center channel
Main article: Boat lifts the center channel.
The boat lifts on the Canal du Centre are four hydraulic boat-lifts built in Belgium between 1888 and 1917. They compensate all a drop of 66 meters. These four elevators, one can catch a drop of 15.40 meters, 16.93 meters of three each. The elevators are located on a canal link between the basin of the Meuse and the Scheldt, called the Canal du Centre, near the city of La Louviere in the province of Hainaut in Wallonia.

Ascenseur n°1 à Houdeng-Goegnies

 

 

 

 

Bois-du-Luc
Main article: Bois-du-Luc.
Bois-du-Luc is one of the oldest coal mines of Belgium located in Houdeng-Aimeries, current town of La Louviere, whose activity ceased in 1973. Working class city was built between 1838 and 1853. The site has been the subject of a pardon and a cultural development.
• Veterans of the bottle kilns Boch.

Museum

• The Centre of Engraving and Printed Image
Regional center Écomusée
• Museum Ianchelevici
• The Centre Daily-Bul & Co (Archives of the surrealist movement Daily-Bul)
• The Centre of Earthenware of the French Community

Monuments

• The Louve
La Louviere is a symbol of the legend of wolves.
This legend is that a wolf had nursed a child in the region.
In fact, there were many wolves at this time where the origin of the name La Louviere.
• The monument was inaugurated Wolf July 26, 1953 and is located in the center of a small roundabout Place de la Louve. It was created by architect and sculptor Marcel Depelsenaire Alphonse Darville Charleroi.

 


• The Call
• Peace
• The sensors Heaven
• The White Wolf
• The Tree

Natural

• The nature reserve ponds Strépy

Folklore

At Mid-Lent, La Louviere wakes to the sound of beating drums and pounding hooves of his Gilles. From a 150 year old tradition, the Laetare Carnival takes place in the city of Wolves and with him three days of intense fun around a folklore warm and welcoming.

Gille


Gilles wearing their mask of wax
 



Gilles with the famous feather hat


Gille is the character's most famous carnival of Binche, Belgium. Day of Mardi Gras, a thousand Gilles roam the streets with drums and brass band, consisting of trumpets, bugles, trombones, tubas and sousaphones and clarinets or pipes.
Gille appears for the first time in 1795 in the texts as a character revolting against the Napoleonic regime that wants to ban the wearing of masks. The most popular legend, invented by the journalist Adolphe Delmée the nineteenth century, is that of Gille descendant of the Incas (wild tattooed men with feathers on the head) appeared in costume in a procession during festivals organized by Mary of Hungary in 1549 to welcome his brother Charles Quint1.
Function Gille been statutes enacted by the "Association for the Defence of folklore" created by Mayor Charles Deliège 19762.

Events

Louvexpo : For exhibitions, the city of La Louviere has Louvexpo, a space opened in 2012 on the site of the former exhibition hall.

Recurrent

• The Laetare - Carnival of La Louviere
• Unhook the Moon - Urban Opera (Event triennial)
• Power Festival - Music Festival
• Festival 5 of 5 - Documentary Film Festival

Sport

• The Waterhole
• La Maison De La Louviere Sport
• Football: Union Royale La Louviere Centre
• Americain Football  : Louvière Wolves

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


 

       Haine Saint-Pierre

Haine-Saint-Pierre is a section of the Belgian town of La Louviere, located in the Walloon province of Hainaut.
It was a separate municipality before the merger of Commons in 1977. The town is crossed by Hate to which it owes its name, and the holy church which
is dedicated.

                    The train station                                                                                                      The town hall

 

   

   Activities

 

Christmas in Belgium.

 

Carnaval in Belgium.

Carnaval at our school.

PHOTOS

 

   
Belgium  in Italy.  Tintin went to Sardinia...

.and brought us a suitcase ....

 

...full of surprises.

 

 

Tintin brought us the recipe for Sardinian biscuits. We did it with the kids, they loved the cookies ... Hummmmmmmmm